Weel 4 - Medicine + Technology + Art

Week 4 - Medicine + Technology + Art

I never thought about medicine and technology as being art before, however, after studying the material this week, I realize that medical practitioners are actually artists.  They are constantly studying and staying ahead of the latest trends and innovations in their particular speciality.  Plastic surgeons are artists and their work involves beautifying people on the outside.  Other types of surgeons perform their craft on the inside of bodies and while their work cannot be seen from the outside, a patient can benefit from their work on the inside.  
In Orlan’s documentary, she creates “carnal art” by undergoing several plastic surgeries on her own body to demonstrate her beauty.  While I understand this is a form of art, I was quite uncomfortable watching the film because it pushed the boundaries of art.
Too much plastic surgery can lead to too much transformation  
Another example of medicine and technology merging with art is when Diane Gromala discusses virtual reality as an effective short-term solution to her chronic pain.  She states that this form of technology is just as effective as using opioids.  I had no idea that virtual reality technology is an art that can provide comfort to someone suffering from chronic pain.
Diane Gromala uses virtual reality to alleviate her chronic pain
I used to be afraid of going to the doctor when I was young but as I’ve grown up, I am not nearly as scared as I used to be.  As an athlete, I have had plenty of encounters with doctors and medical technology.  I have had X-rays, MRIs, and casts put on for various injuries caused by falls and overuse.  I also suffer from allergies and have had CT-scans on my sinuses. I will be having my wisdom teeth taken out later this year.  My oral surgeon was able to show me a panoramic X-ray precisely where my impacted teeth are positioned and how those teeth are creating crowding issues with the rest of my teeth.
Panoramic dental X-ray


Sources
Culturebase.net. "A Unique Online Source on Contemporary International Artists." Zoran
Todorovic Artist Portrait. Culture Base.net, 14 May 2003. Web. 29 Apr. 2017.
Gromala, Diane.  TED Talks.  “TED AmericanRiviera – Diane Gromala – Curative
Powers of Wet, Raw Beauty.”  You Tube.  YouTbe, 07 Dec. 2011.  Web. 29 Apr.
2017.
MutleeIsTheAntiGod. "Orlan - Carnal Art (2001) Documentary." YouTube. YouTube, 13
Mar. 2011. Web. 29 Apr. 2017.
Vesna, Victoria.  “Lecture Parts 1 – 3.  Human Bodies and Medical Technologies.”
Medicine + Technology + Art.  30 April 2017.  Lecture.

Warwick, Kevin.  "Body Embedded Chips." Kevin Warwick. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Apr. 2017.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ben Goldberg Week 1 Blog Discussion B

Week 8 - Nanotechnology + Art

Week 9 - Space + Art