Week 2 Math + Art

Week 2: Math + Art
I never gave much thought about how math has had such a profound influence on art and science until this week’s assignment.  After reviewing the material, I soon realized how critical science and math are to music and art.  Music involves structure and form just like math.  I began playing the piano when I was three years old and learned how to count to the beat of the rhythm.  I also learned how to play scales, chords, and melodies in a wide range of musical styles.  While I excelled in music, math was one of my weaker subjects.  According to Cindy Zahn, there are people that do well in music but not in math.  I learned that it doesn’t matter if complex patterns in music resemble math because it is not relevant to musicians.
Value of musical notes 

According to Robert Lang, applying the basic principles of math are essential requirements in the art of Origami.  I discovered that math is the study of shapes, forms, relationships and information and those same principles are necessary in the creation of Origami.  The basic characteristics of math and Origami have emanated from a much broader world of shapes and forms.
Butterfly Origami by Robert Lang

I also learned that math and crochet are intricately connected.  For several centuries, mathematicians never believed it was possible to create a structure of hyperbolic space.  In 1997, Daina Taimina, discovered a way to model hyperbolic space through crochet.  She found that “the crocheter must constantly change the rate of increase to keep the curvature of the surface constant” (Taimina).  Her complex crocheted models have made it possible for the naked eye to see abstract mathematical properties.
A large hyperbolic crochet


Math, music, science and art have always been intertwined with each other.  Math is essential in everything we touch, see, and hear in our world.  While math may not be my favorite subject, I appreciate how it fits so neatly in my universe.   
Sources
"Diana Taimina: Discoverer of Hyperbolic Crochet." Daina Taimina | Crochet
      Coral Reef. The Institute for Figuring, 2 Apr. 2009. Web. 15 Apr. 2017. 

Jansen, Theo. "My Creations, a New Form of Life." Theo Jansen: My Creations, a New
      Form of Life | TED Talk | TED.com. TED.com, 09 June 2007. Web. 15 Apr. 2017. 

Lang, Robert. "Robert Lang: The Math and Magic of Origami (2008 TED Talk) •  
      R/origami." Ted.com. TED, 1 Feb. 2008. Web. 15 Apr. 2017. 

Ouellette, Jennifer. "Pollock's Fractals: That Isn't Just a Lot of Splattered Paint on
       Those Canvases, It's Good Mathematics." Discover Magazine. Discover Magazine,  
       1 Nov. 2001. Web. 15 Apr. 2017. 

Zhan, Cindy. "The Correlation Between Music and Math: A Neurobiology  
       Perspective." View User Website. Serendip, 16 Jan. 2008. Web. 15 Apr. 2017.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ben Goldberg Week 1 Blog Discussion B

Week 8 - Nanotechnology + Art

Week 9 - Space + Art